As human beings, we are built to want and need emotional connection and company; we call these connections relationships, and we have them with different kinds of people, in different ways. The most common relationships are those we have with family, and these bonds are usually unbreakable and in need of little maintenance. Although the way our society was built helps and encourages us to create connections with other people, it is in fact very difficult to break the ice and actually get to know someone without being biased. Each individual develops a strong personality, so it is hard to find someone you can really get along with well; yet when that happens, it is so beautiful we call it love.
This love relationship that we develop with what are practically strangers is the most important one in everyone’s lives because it is also the one that we usually stick with all our lives. And even though it is in our nature to react this way, we still have trouble in making things work all the time. Every other factor in your life and your partner’s life affects your relationship unfortunately, so if one of you had a bad day, there’s a chance you’ll get into an argument because of it. It is practically impossible to remove all other aspects of your life from your relationship, so it cannot be protected from that. But what we can do is work hard for our relationships, and learn how and when to make compromises, or to borrow the other’s point of view for a moment. If you don’t know how to do that, you can try reading some good relationship quotes, as they are usually illuminating in these matters and they speak to our own experiences and circumstances. With some good relationship quotes you can get a better understanding of what a good relationship should be like, and of how much you should be willing to sacrifice to that extent.
The following relationship tips will help you do all that. Everyone you ask will probably have one or two relationship tips for you, but it is better to avoid advice from people who are too close to you. Instead of asking for advice for people who might be subjective, you are better off going to some marriage and family therapy sessions.
That being said, here are some relationship tips that will make your life easier, and that will make communication and understanding much better between you:
- Politeness is forever – In the beginning of each relationship, both partners are so in love that being kind and polite just comes naturally, or out of a deep desire to please and to keep the other person near you. Yet as time progresses, you get used to the person next to you and you risk starting to take them for granted; this automatically means that the nature of the relationship changes, and we sometimes lose patience with our loved one. In order to avoid arguments and meaningless fights, it is best to always try to be polite; even saying “thank you” and “please” every time can go a long way, so don’t lose the habit.
- Spend time together – One of the most common reasons for breakups is boredom, or the lack of time for common activities. No matter what stage of the relationship you are in, spending time together should always be a priority; and if you don’t enjoy doing that, then unfortunately you should no longer be in a relationship. Finding common ground is essential in a relationship, and if work and responsibilities prevent you from doing that, then you need to reset your priorities. If you go to a marriage and family therapy session, you will see that spending time together, along with an honest communication, are the two ingredients for long lasting relationships.
- Never blame and leave – Arguments are unavoidable even in the happiest of relationships; like we mentioned in the beginning, the simple small events of life can get between you because a relationship simply suffers everything you do, both separately and together. That is why you need to have rules when fighting; never throw the blame without letting the other one defend himself/herself and make sure that you aren’t being unfair. Know when to apologize, and don’t wait for reproach to make amends.
- Share everything – Whether you’re married or not, as a couple you share everything; this means both good luck and misfortune, so if your partner needs your help don’t wait for them to ask. Although it can be difficult sometimes to deal with your own problems and with those of your loved one, make the extra effort and you’ll get some help in return as well.
- Keep some “you” time – Although you are encouraged to spend time together, sometimes a little distance can put things into perspective. Guys should be allowed a hobby of their own, or a guys’ night out, and ladies the same. When getting together you’ll be much more inclined to miss each other and show signs of affection.
There are just a few basic relationship tips that can make your life easier, but if you generally use your common sense you can get through anything together. Learning how to live in two can be a challenge, but it is a beautiful and exciting one, and everyone should struggle to have it.